Background

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

So much!

So much has happened since I last posted. In fact, the task of updating this blog is so daunting that, as usual, I keep putting it off. So I have decided to break it into chunks, starting with AUSTRALIA!

This past year, Tom's brother decided to put together a family health competition to encourage us all to live a little better. The prize was a pretty big one--a trip to Australia! Now, this isn't because we are all rich (or in massive amounts of debt). Tom's sister, Juli, and her family had been living in Australia for 3 years for work. The company that Shon (Juli's husband) works for will pay for family to come visit once every few years (I think?). Of course, Shon flew out his parents and Juli flew out hers. However, because Juli's parents came during the off-season, their flight cost a lot less, meaning there was some money left over. But with seven siblings, how could they choose who gets to come?
So, Spencer suggested the family health competition. This is probably not how everything really happened, it just the story I have pieced together from what I've heard. Sorry Juli and Spencer.
The competition lasted from spring/summer til December 31st. At our family New Year get-together, the winner was announced--Spencer. AND me! We tied. So, we forked out the money for Tom's ticket (WELL worth it) and were on our way to Australia!
We planned for a  two week stay in Brisbane with Juli's family, but another surprise came along. Shon and Juli found out that they would be moving to Alaska (yeah, I know!) the week after our stay (I KNOW!) So, they had to do some emergency house shopping. They flew us in 10 days early to watch the kiddos while they checked out houses in Alaska. We were so bummed that we had to spend MORE time in Australia.... Kidding. We hung out at their pool while the kids were in school. It was great.
Sorry if you're bored. I'll keep the rest of the story to a minimum. Shon and Juli returned and, soon after, the Kendricks flew in as well!
We had some great times in Brisbane. Cue photos.







































 And, it got EVEN BETTER. Juli and Shon treated us to a long weekend on Tangalooma Island, the most beautiful place I have ever been! There, we snorkelled snd scuba dived (dove?) shipwrecks and saw all sorts of truly wild wildlife, like squirrel gliders and DOLPHINS! They came in every evening to be fed by the guests. I was DYING to feed them!


















 You can call me to schedule a time to view the entire slide show.

2 comments:

  1. About time you updated your blog! How am I supposed to stalk you guys if you don't give me anything?! Here's the deal, we're still planning on finding houses on the same street so our boys can play together...it just seems right...and I am seriously seriously jealous of your Australia trip- amazing pictures! Keep the updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Facebook is just so much easier! And I miss you guys. I can't wait for "someday." Move here now!

      Delete